Wednesday 26 March 2014

Life is made of small pleasures

Life is made of small pleasures
                             
                        -Raj Bahadur Yadav
The famous Russian novelist, Maxim Gorky[1868-1936] said,"Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands". Sometimes, I think that it is futile to rave and rant about what we don't have. We may not forget the past but  we must not allow it to invade our small pleasures of family life in the present. When my father went to the local market and returned with a bag full of potatoes and some other vegetables, I would innocently ask him as a small child,"Why do you bring home potatoes in plenty ,Babuji?" My father usually beamed a generous smile at me and tried to convince me,"Potato is the  king of all vegetables. Your mother will  now prepare a very delicious meal for my little prince in pure desi ghee!". In those days, forty five years ago , our pleasures were simple and having a sumptuous food  with some seasonal fruit  was a sort of great treat to all the family members. I could always notice a glint of immense pleasure in the eyes of my father when he  saw  me eating me to my fill.  It was my father's biggest victory whenever I touched his feet and told him," I have passed my examination". He would rush to the local confectioner's shop and come backo with "ladoos" and distribute them among our neighbours declaring aloud,"My son has once again passed his exam!". On such lucky days, I saw him praying to Lord Krishna in the local temple with much more intensity and devotion. He spent his leisure time in listening to radio and cracking innocent jokes with his friends and relatives on his weekly holidays. I am myself usually free on sundays.  The great scientist, Albert Einstein[1879-1955], defines life," Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving". In the morning, I ride a bicycle to the local market for purchasing fresh vegetables. On the small way to the "sabji mandi", I continue thinking about my father and his pet habits and hobbies. When I am back home  with a modest bag full of vegetables and fruits, the dominant bulk of the potatoes evokes my children's loving rebuke,"Have you again brought home  the potatoes in bulk, papa ?" Just like my father, I try to convince them with the same old argument," Potato  is the king of all vegetables". This starchy and tuberous root gives a congenial company to other vegetables also".
 I find myself on the cloud nine when I see  my children enjoying good food and teasing me playfully with my obsession with potatoes.  In my humble home, I find myself in a perfect heaven wading through newspapers, watching different TV channels and snatching a short siesta in the afternoons after having lunch. Life becomes really beautiful when some family  friend or relative  drops in at my residence in the evening and shares his joys and jokes with us over a cup of hot tea. I would like to thank God for blessing  me with such a great domestic bliss and a house full of laughter  .H. Jackson Brown, Jr.[Born in 1940] , the American author has said it aptly,"Think big but relish small pleasures".
Dr RAJ BAHADUR YADAV  Behind Kath Mandi, Kranti Nagar, Fatehabad[Haryana]

No comments:

Post a Comment