Saturday 14 October 2017

A school principal's reflections -Raj Bahadur Yadav

A school principal's reflections

                                   -Raj Bahadur Yadav

 When I got  the news of my promotion as a school principal in the first week of June this year, I felt elated. It was just like a dream having come true. With the blessings of my family elders and old teachers, I had successfully climbed the ladder of social hierarchy in a modest manner. Within a few days, I received a letter informing me about a 10-day- induction training for newly promoted government senior secondary school principals to be held on the premises of the State Council of Educational Research and Training[SCERT] in Gurugram. No doubt, I had taught English for the last more than two  decades yet I had almost no experience of running a school. Yes, I had taught a paper,"School culture,leadership and change" to D.Ed students at the District Institute of Education and Training [DIET] Ding[Sirsa],  but mere bookish knowledge was not enough to make me feel comfortable in the saddle of principal's office.
                             
                                          The school heads' training had commenced in the conference hall  on June 5 and we were told to wait for the special visit of a very senior IAS officer, PK Das Sir, the Additional Chief Secretary for School Education Haryana, within a few next days.It was my good luck to run into him and talk to him in the sprawling hall of Gurjar Bhawan located in Sector 28, Chandigarh, a few years back when I had participated in a state level seminar of DIET lecturers of English language held  there. Despite being a high-profile bureaucrat, he appears as if he were an unassuming academic in looks and personal behaviour, mixing with the ordinary teachers in a friendly manner. He himself reads a lot and likes honest and hardworking teachers. In the teaching fraternity of Haryana, he has come to enjoy an imperishable reputation.
                              
                   It was in the morning of June 10 around 10: 15 am when P K Das Sir  entered the conference hall of the SCERT which was jampacked with school heads. There was a spontaneous clapping in his honour. It is just proper here to mention that this  conference hall is tastefully furnished; having table mikes which respond to a gentle push. We can press the button to talk and press again to lock the speechware. His first significant remark was,"Where leaders go, people follow them". But he cautioned us,"For compliance,power is not enough. You must have a liberal outlook towards your colleagues if you wish to succeed as school heads". He applauded the role of Mahatama Gandhi, "the Father of the  Nation", whom millions of common people followed as their undisputed leader during the freedom struggle.In contrast to Gandhiji, he referred to Idi Amin, once the president of Uganda and Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, a former prime minister of Libya. Gandhiji succeeded as a great mass leader because of his belief in democracy and non-violence whereas Idi Amin and Gaddafi were overthrown because of their despotic temperament and cruelty towards people. He advised us to improve the quality of education in our schools through team work. He told us," The entire teaching force of 93000 teachers is my team." He enlightened us with his deep knowledge through his select quotes also,"All roads lead to Rome". He paused and added," But some roads are strewn with thorns also'. Everything you do or say is reflective of your personality. A principal is first among equals yet he should work as a part of his team. He has to respect   his staff members who will standby him through all thick and thin and teach their classes in such a manner that the students will be learning on their own. A school principal must try to unlock the energy of his students and encourage them to ask questions. Their  questions may be pedestrian yet we have to answer them with a positive mind-set. In order to avoid talking a load of crap, a teacher should go to his class well-prepared.
                                 When Das Sir invited queries and questions from the audience, I asked him,"Will you really consider the points of merit given in the column,"My Points" shown on the Management Information System[ MIS] portal at the time of our transfer also, Sir? He promptly  replied," Don't worry ! We will accord them full  consideration when the general transfer drive becomes active. But first of all, we are going to transfer the teachers by the end  of July and we shall open the transfer drive for the principals in the month of August only". I had a hectic schedule for three months as the actual distance between my residence and the place of work had doubled up from 22 kilometers to nearly 44 kilometers. I had to brave the hot winds, dusty haze of the late summer days and sometimes torrential rain also  yet I made it a point to reach my school before the stipulated time and leave it when most of my staff members had already left for home, as Das Sir had guided us during our training. There is an ancient proverb,"Patience has its own reward". The transfer drive for principals became active on August 28 and I submitted my option for the most suitable station in Fatehabad district.  I would like to thank P K Das Sir  from the depths of my heart  for I have got a school near my home with one year left to serve the education department in my declining years. I shall try my best to follow his clarion call for team work  in our schools,"We shall play better, we shall win."

Dr RAJ BAHADUR YADAV
Behind Kath Mandi, Kranti Nagar, Fatehabad[Haryana]

No comments:

Post a Comment